Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Overall Contemporary Context Goals

1. The contemporary cultural contexts of UNCSA

As a school we are incredibly diverse in the contemporary context. As an arts school we are on the front lines of this contemporary context. We are constantly producing new, fun and engaging works of art to share with the world that encompass many other art forms. Art and technology continue to evolve and change with each other which is great for me as a filmmaker. Every generation of film has to account for the technologies they have at hand. With this constant evolution, it allows for us a filmmakers to grow with the art through the years and make our mark in the contemporary context.

2. What makes us all composers?

We are all composers creating our works of art. In a sense as an artist we orchestrate our work. Whether of not you be a music composer, director, actor, writer or dancer. We are all composing and creating. It is through a creative drive that we compose and build new works that could potentially influence millions. Now looking at construction, a building is a work of art that someone composed and created. A machine that works on an assembly line building other machines, is a work composed by someone.

3. What makes artistic types of composing unique?

 As artists, we create art that people will consider more a composition then that of the product designer. For us, people can look at our work and say, they composed this work of art, which is very nice because it is clear to people what you are doing.

4. How composers in various artistic domains or fields conceptualize and enact the composing process

The composing process is a lot of tedious prep work. To build a composition, you need to put hours of work in. I believe composers become one with their art form when composing and allow for their free expression to leak out and guide their hands. Composing is a difficult task that must be allowed to flourish when given the opportunity.

5. What it feels like to compose in an artist field other then your own

This is a difficult question for me to answer since I have been acting for so long and playing the violin since I was 5. I also simultaneously started making movies when I was 5 years old so those three art forms I just have absorbed over the years and am capable of composing music, creating films and acting on a stage/or film. It's just what I do and who I am. Dance on the other hand is a skill that I am incapable of learning and when I do work in that field it is very awkward for me, not just because I'm uncoordinated but because it isn't what I am comfortable with. Having to come out of my shell for dance is very hard and I know I will never be capable of creating or performing in a really good dance.

6. What happens when first-generation multimedia (dance, design and production, drama, film, liberal arts, music, and visual arts) and second-generation multimedia (digital text, image, audio, and video) are combined, recombined, and remixed in contemporary composing 

For starters this idea of generations is weird to me since, in my opinion, Audio/Image/Video were already apart of film from its very start. But today we can combine so many different multimedia styes and create really intricate works. Art is in a constant evolution along with technology and as a filmmaker I can see as technology improves, it becomes easier and more plausible to combine different aspects of art into one. Which in the end really shows how the contemporary context really affects our lives.



No comments:

Post a Comment